The North Hills School District Anti-Racism and Diversity Task Force was established in July of 2020 and is made up of school district administrators, school board members, community members and parents. Meetings are held monthly. At this time, the meetings are not open to the public.
The North Hills School District is committed to providing an inclusive environment with equitable opportunities for all who study, learn, teach and serve in the community.
- Complete Mid-Atlantic Equity Consortium Audit
- Complete exploration of Pennsylvania Department of Equitable Practicesin the following areas:
- General Equity Practices
- Data Practices
- Family and Community Engagement
- Academic Equity
- Disciplinary Equity
- Conduct anti-racism professional development for district administration
- Conduct diversity and inclusion practices professional development for district staff
- Establish a multi-racial inter-ethnic calendar that highlights the historical and current contributions of African Americans and other groups. It can be integrated into class projects, related class disciplines or in school announcements.
- Create a student council/advisory board to give input and create initiatives and affinity groups
- Possibly reinstate Changes Program
- Initiate Culturally Responsive-Sustaining (CR-S) framework and curriculum review. Developed by New York University as a systematic approach to curriculum review, CR-S is intended to help create student-centered learning environments that affirm cultural identities; foster positive academic outcomes; develop students’ abilities to connect across lines of difference; elevate historically marginalized voices; empower students as agents of social change; and contribute to individual student engagement, learning, growth, and achievement through the cultivation of critical thinking.
- Build relationships with HBCUs and local universities with education certification programs
- Proactively recruit and share district job postings
- Attract more diverse talent pool
- Visit HBCUs to recruit and introduce candidates to NHSD
- Host job fairs and recruitment sessions to introduce interested candidates to North Hills
- Develop a relationship with Dr. Herring, Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at South Fayette School District, and explore a similar position for North Hills.
- Conduct mascot audit
- Superintendent has attended: