Fourteen North Hills High School Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA) members and two advisors attended the 2023 Pennsylvania State Leadership Conference (SLC) held in Hershey April 16-19, joining 276 FBLA chapters from schools across the state.
Students qualified to attend by placing in the Top 5 of the regional FBLA competition held last November.
North Hills students participated in the evening Opening Session and Awards of Excellence Ceremony at the Hershey Giant Center and took advantage of the many opportunities offered at the conference including visiting the event’s college and career expo and attending a variety of career, success and skill-building workshops and student performances. The students also had some fun at HersheyPark and visited Chocolate World prior to the conference’s start!
Competition and other highlights of the conference include:
- North Hills sophomore Eli Dicken advanced to the Performance Round for the Help Desk event and placed in the top 15 in the state!
- North Hills placed eighth among Top Fundraising Chapters, donating $1,380.29 in proceeds for November's Big Cookie Sale to Make-A-Wish, the state’s project this year.
- Juniors Maggie Mollenauer and Dylan Garland served as Chapter Voting Delegates and attended additional sessions where they accepted North Hills’ eighth place Big 33 Community Service Award for completing 552 total hours of community service. (Kudos to North Hills Chapter President Katie Miller who researched this award and suggested North Hills participate!)
- Junior Emily Peck earned ninth place among 5,000 members for her 228 hours of community service.
- Seniors Katie Miller and Emma Brown and juniors Maggie Mollenauer, Emily Peck and Logan Filipcic applied for and were accepted into the National Business Honor Society. - PA FBLA Chapter. To qualify, students must have a GPA of 3.5 or higher that includes at least two semesters of business courses, have demonstrated leadership as an officer and have clearly defined career objectives.
“Our students made us proud and enjoyed the conference,” said FBLA Co-Sponsor Kellee Kanith. “They are excited to take back what they learned to share with our members and continue to make our North Hills FBLA Chapter even more successful!”
Pictured above back row left to right: Dylan Garland, Kaylee Garland, Kylie Good, Eli Dicken, Katie Miller, Emma Brown, Lukas Hollenbeck, Maggie Mollenauer, Olivia Miller, Graham Woodside and front row left to right: Logan Filipcic, Jack Carey, Daniel Dalton and Emily Peck.