Five North Hills Middle School GATE students won the 2021-22 Phipps Conservatory Fairchild Challenge!
Autumn Mandell, Keelin McKiernan, Adalaide Seigworth, Niamh Greer and Ellie Kim are to be congratulated on their creative minds and diligent work ethic.
The Fairchild Challenge is a multidisciplinary, standards-based environmental education outreach program designed to give Allegheny County high school, middle school and elementary school students an opportunity to creatively shine. By appealing to their innate sense of curiosity about the world around them, the Challenge invites students to investigate the thorniest environmental issues, devise imaginative and effective responses to these issues, and take action to address them.
This year there were six challenges and the girls placed in the following:
- Special Merit for Challenge No. 2 - "Plant Love Stories”
- Special Merit for Challenge No. 3 - "Enviro-Engineers"
- 1st Place for Challenge No. 4 - "Change-makers of Tomorrow”
- 1st Place for Challenge No. 5 - "Home Grown Culture"
- 1st Place for Challenge No. 6 - "Choose Your Own Eco-Challenge Adventure” (Lights Out!)
The points the girls accrued throughout the six challenges moved them into first place as the overall winners!
Today, these girls are North Hills Middle School GATE students. Tomorrow, they are future leaders of America! Congratulations!