North HIlls Bowling’s senior night is scheduled for this Wednesday, January 31 vs. Hampton at Pines Plaza Lanes on Perry Highway. The match will begin at 3 p.m. with senior recognition to follow at approximately 5:15 p.m.
For a team that only formed last school year, they have had a strong season with many bowlers scoring turkeys at least once and achieving high scores as the season progressed. A turkey is three strikes in a row.
Additionally, North Hills senior George Gdovichin qualified to compete as an individual in the Western Pennsylvania Interscholastic Bowling League (WPIBL) Singles Championship on Feb. 21.
Season highlights include:
December 13 vs. Avonworth
- Boys’ team swept Avonworth in all three matches.
December 20 vs. Hampton
- Boys’ team swept Hampton in all three matches.
- Maddie Dembrowski had two turkeys.
January 3 vs. Our Lady of Sacred Heart School
- Charlie Ejzak and Julia Yeloushan had their first turkeys.
January 10 vs. North Allegheny
- Girls’ team swept North Allegheny in all three matches.
- Allison Sabatini and Jacob Bechtold had their first turkeys.
January 17 vs. Moon
- George Gdovichin scored a double turkey and qualified to compete at the WPIBL Singles Championship on Feb. 21.
- Allison Sabatini and Maddie Dembrowski scored personal bests with scores of 142 and 134, respectively.
- Kellen Switzer scored a personal best of 192.
- Charlie Ejzak had a turkey and achieved a personal best score of 176.
Bowling is a club sport at North Hills and open to students in grades 9-12. The team competes in the Section 7 - West Division of the WPIBL with schools including Hampton, Avonworth, Our Lady of Sacred Heart School, North Allegheny and Moon. Home matches are held at Pines Plaza Lanes.
Christine Sabatini is the team’s coach. For more information or if you are interested in joining the team, email [email protected].