With winter weather in the forecast later this week, please take a few minutes to read our updated winter weather procedures.
Our goal, as it has always been, is to get our students to school safely on time. Inclement weather, however, may make that impossible.
This year, we will look to delay or cancel classes before calling a Flexible Instructional Day (FID), as we’ve done in recent years.
As the pandemic has shown us, having students physically present in school is vital to their academic success.
This school year, we have two weather cancelation “snow days” built into our academic calendar, March 17 and April 5, with the option of also using April 6 and April 10 as student make-up days as a result of a school cancelation.
Should we call a “snow day,” the school day will be made up on one of the dates listed above. If we exhaust our make-up options, information about Flexible Instructional Days will be shared.
The decision to delay or cancel classes is one we take very seriously. We take into account numerous factors including current road and weather conditions, the temperature and windchill, and the forecast. If roads are impassable or conditions are unsafe, we will take all necessary precautions and alter the schedule as needed.
Typically, the decision to delay or cancel classes is made prior to 5:30 a.m. However, there are occasions that changing road/weather conditions will necessitate a later decision.
Any change to our schedule is communicated via the following platforms:
- Automated call and text message system
- Districtwide email
- NHSD website
- NHSD app
- Main district social media accounts (Facebook, Instagram and Twitter)
- KDKA, WPXI, WTAE on-air and online
Should we call a delay, the schedule is as follows:
North Hills High School
- Classes begin at 8:50 a.m. and the delay schedule posted at nhsd.net/hs-sched is followed
- Buses delayed 1 hour and 30 minutes
- Morning A.W. Beattie classes canceled; Beattie students should report to school in time for fifth period, which begins at 11:14 a.m. on a delay
North Hills Middle School
- Classes begin at 9:35 a.m. and the delay schedule posted at nhsd.net/ms-sched is followed
- Buses delayed 1 hour and 45 minutes
Highcliff and West View Elementary Schools
- Classes begin at 10:30 a.m.
- Buses delayed 2 hours
McIntyre and Ross Elementary Schools
- Classes begin at 11:15 a.m.
- Buses delayed 2 hours
All non-public school buses including charter schools will be delayed two hours except for Eden Christian School - Mt. Nebo Campus, which will follow the high school delay schedule.
There is no morning care when there is a delay.
Cold breakfast options (muffins, cinnamon buns, string cheese, yogurt, granola bars, cereal, fruit, juice and milk) are available in all buildings during the times posted below. Additionally, the high school will offer hot breakfast sandwiches.
- High School: 8:15-9:30 a.m. (Coffee shop opens at 8:15 a.m.)
- Middle School: 9:10-9:30 a.m.
- West View and Highcliff: 10:15-10:30 a.m.
- McIntyre and Ross: 11-11:15 a.m.
Lunch will be served as scheduled.