PITTSBURGH -- Effective immediately, we have limited our student email accounts for elementary and middle school students. Emails assigned to students in grades K-8 at all four of our elementary schools, the North Hills Middle School and the Online Academy at North Hills, are no longer able to send to or receive emails from outside domains. This includes any personal email a parent/guardian might have such as Google, Microsoft, Yahoo, iCloud, etc. This change is for security reasons and to protect our youngest students from spam and phishing attempts. This applies to email addresses for students in grades K-8 only.
Students in grades K-8 will still be able to:
- Send and receive emails to and from all NHSD domains. (This includes any that end in nhsd.net.)
- Send and receive emails from whitelisted domains such as the Online Academy at North Hills' online portal Acceleration Education.
- Receive district and teacher communication from all district Google products including Google Classroom and Google Forms. (This includes the automated confirmation email from Google Forms stating your student completed the daily attendance.*)
*Communication from Google products such as Google Classroom and Google Forms was interrupted for approximately 24 hours while we made the above changes. Service has been restored and you should begin receiving such emails once again. We apologize for the inconvenience.
If you are not receiving in-district emails, be sure to first check your spam. You should also check to be sure your student hasn’t accidentally blocked the sender’s email address as follows:
- Log into the student's email account from a web browser at mail.google.com
- Go to Settings (gear icon) → See all settings → Filters and Blocked Addresses
- Unblock select addresses
We’ve also added a student email support contact form if you have a specific issue or question.