Monitoring students and staff for symptoms and history of exposure is a responsibility shared by all.
- Parents/guardians must only send their students to school if they:
- Are healthy with no fever or symptoms
- Have not been exposed to COVID-19
- Students who are exhibiting signs of illness must stay home
- School nurses will undergo additional training and professional development and will develop resources to share with families to help guide informed decision making related to school attendance
- Attendance policy has been revised for 2020-21 to accommodate additional absences
- Staff must self-monitor and stay home if ill
- Staff will undergo COVID-19 symptoms, responses and exposure protocol training and have discussions with students.
- Should a student or staff member exhibit signs or symptoms of COVID-19 at school, the student or staff member will be quarantined in the health office immediately and additional steps will be taken per guidance of the Allegheny County Health Department and CDC.
What if there's a known case?
If at home, the school should be contacted immediately. In both cases, NHSD will contact the Allegheny County Health Department and follow their guidance regarding school closure, who must quarantine and for how long, and whether the operational model must change.
If there is a known COVID-19 case in a student or staff member’s household, the superintendent's office should be contacted immediately and action by the district will be taken as necessary based on guidance from the Allegheny County Health Department and CDC.
All families will be notified of all known COVID-19 cases in the district. This includes known exposure. Communication will be sent through the district’s normal modes of communication including email, district website, app and social media
If a student is uncomfortable returning to school after a confirmed COVID-19 case, the district will work with the student’s family and move the child to a schedule that best fits their comfort level. This can include a variation of a hybrid model or all-virtual learning model.
Administrators will continuously review and collaborate with school nurses to ensure health and safety procedures are being followed and enforced at all times.