North Hill School District Logo
Quick Links
Special Dietary Needs and Related Forms

If your child:

  • has special dietary needs due to food allergies or a disabling condition(s),
  • plans on participating in the school lunch program, and
  • requires dietary substitutions,

there are USDA regulations for making food substitutions in the school meals program which require a physician’s specific diet prescription and signature.

When a child has a serious disability (such as food allergies which may result in anaphylaxis), a signed Medical Statement from a physician is needed for disabling conditions. Your physician is required to answer a series of questions in order for meal substitutions or changes to be honored by the school during the school year. In addition, juice and water are no longer an accepted substitute for milk intolerance or allergy that is not ruled a disability by a physician. Only in the case of a disability are alternative forms of milk substitutions such as water or juice allowable.

A MEDICAL PLAN OF CARE FOR SCHOOL FOOD SERVICES form must be completed and signed by a physician, if your child has a disability which requires special dietary accommodations or substitutions. We cannot accept a physician’s prescription slip in lieu of this form.

If you have questions or need any further explanations regarding the new regulations, please contact North Hills School District's Director of Food Service Lindsay Radzvin at 412-318-1053 or by email at   

North Hill School District Logo
North Hills School District
135 Sixth Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15229
Phone: 412-318-1000 Fax: 412-318-1084
Athletics & Activities
School Board
© 2019. North Hills School District. School CMS created by eSchoolView